I can count to 5
Download the template.
For this you will need:
- A4 sheet of card - to print out the template;
- Cotton wool balls; and
- PVA glue.
How to do:
- Download the template from this page;
- Ask your child how many boxes they can see and count the boxes out aloud yourself, asking your child to repeat the number you have just said;
- After your child has repeated the number, write the number in the box and draw the same number of circles as the number you have just said. This helps them to recognise the number you have just said.
- Once the boxes are numbered 1 to 5, count out the boxes again, this time asking your child to count with you.
- Pick a number from 1 to 5 and ask your child to pick the correct number of cotton wool balls, then help them to stick the balls onto the paper.
Once your child can count to 5, then you can move on to numbers 6 - 10, 11 - 15 until your child can count to 20 - though you may just need a single sheet of paper when you get to the higher numbers, rather than using the template. Current guidelines anticipate that most preschoolers will be able to count to 20 by the time they are due to start Primary school.
Don’t forget to give your child lots of praise if they pick the correct number of cotton wool balls and can recognise the numers..